Here’s what you do:
- Find a group of kids who like cocoa (this shouldn’t be too hard to do). Then assemble a collection of books about chocolate. See below for my personal favorites from Lerner.
- Grab a good hot cocoa mix. Plain chocolate mix is a classic, but you can also find mixes in flavors like sea salt caramel, malted milk, and Mexican chocolate (which has a hint of cinnamon in it—yum!).
- Assemble a wide variety of cocoa toppings. Feel free to go a little wild here. Marshmallows are great, but also think chocolate candies, butterscotch chips, crumbled-up cookies, colored sprinkles, breakfast cereal, and peanut butter.
- Put each of your hot cocoa toppings into a separate bowl. Set them out on a table.
- Prepare a cup of hot cocoa for each kid participating—and for yourself! Don’t forget yourself!
- Have everyone flavor their cocoa with as many toppings as they like.
- Read the books about chocolate while everybody drinks their delicious concoctions. Mmmm…can’t you almost taste the chocolatey goodness?